Well, and so the 2013 Mystery Blanket is finally complete!
I enjoyed knitting this blanket. Hope you did too.
The 2014 Mystery Blanket is already being swatched for here at Violet Green HQ. I’m pretty sure it’s going to be an abstract design, though I can’t say absolutely for sure, because I might get a sudden alternative brainwave. At the moment though my planning head is all about abstract. I can’t wait!
is a lovely horseshoe crab which my guitar loving sons have all declared their favourite motif so far, I wonder why?!
We introduced more space into our blanket with the first of our September motifs, a double length panel with a sinuous water snake, well, snaking down its length.
Have finished all the August motifs now; here is the second colourway, sewn in.
Off to play with the sock yarn club now … fifth project due out by the end of August.
The August squares are so straightforward compared to last month I am racing through them. How about you? My problem right now is that I took the slate colour yarn downstairs to use in the motif with the pale gold background and have unfortunately misplaced it! Frustrating.
Here is one of the burgundy background August motifs in situ. The blanket is not blocked yet, of course, not being finished, so the edges look a little more crinkled then they will do in the end.
Just checking in with my completed July square. The octopus (or is it a squid?):
How are you getting on with yours?
I will be along very soon with the first installment of the blanket map; I just want to finish the August squares first, which shouldn’t take me long now, and then there will be a nice big block of sewn together squares that will make more sense than what I currently have sewn together.
It is a bit tantalizing at the moment, the sewn-together squares with some holes in, must hurry up and knit more, quickly.
Finished my June Fish today. My mouth turned out bigger than it was supposed to be according to the pattern, and I ended up on a knit row, which can’t be right. Not sure if I did an extra row or missed one out by mistake. The textured pattern all seems to work though, so that’s okay.
The textured pattern blocked out beautifully, too – I am pleased with my fish.
I will be making the draw for the June competition this week, and setting up another competition. I haven’t forgotten!
Now to go and cast on my July Octopus, which will be a twin to this fish square.
The final six colours were sent out in March, in time for the April Motif.
The twelve colours are: 1: Ink, 2: Sage, 3: Viridian, 4: Pale Gold, 5: Moss, 6: Burgundy.
7 Emerald; 8 Saffron; 9 Cobalt; 10 Raspberry; 11: Slate/Night; 12: Ochre.
It took me ages to find the time to start the April motifs, but when I did, they were done in a few days. I loved knitting this motif, I found it straightforward but also satisfying – a nice contained little pattern that changed quite quickly in a fairly predictable manner.
I liked that it had quite a lot of plain colour around the outside too. Plus I loved the colour combinations: Raspberry & Saffron, and Ochre & Cobalt.
Two large, rectangular motifs this month: double the width of one square.
I love these fish and I loved knitting them, even though counting the squares between the little dots was a little difficult. I am very pleased with the result.
This month, really, everyone knew it was a sea theme. More specifically, it is a theme based on the drawings of the German Naturalist Ernst Haeckel, called Artforms in Nature. The Marine ones.